Sunday, February 12, 2012

Observations in a Starbucks

A couple reunites but it does not go well.
I see a lonely old drunk trying way too hard to get or keep or hold on to
this woman he once loved.
I can't see her face but I know she's married now
and seems to be affected by what he has to say.
I don't know if it's sincere.
It seemed like a game at first,
but I think now it's starting to get to her.
He goes outside to smoke in his old tan jacket and camouflage hat.
Staring at her through the window the entire time.
He keeps touching her, wanting to know over and over again what she's thinking
and what she feels.
I wonder if the old love songs playing
on the Starbucks system are getting to and affecting them.
"You make me crazy with those eyes," he says.
As he tries to woo too hard and tell her why she shouldn't be 
with her husband.
I still can't see her face or read what it is she's doing here 
or why she wanted to look him up.
"I wish I knew you in a previous life," he says.
The don't seem real or sincere to me.
Maybe it's because I'm half their age 
and haven't become quite that desperate, sad or jaded just yet.




2004

No comments:

Post a Comment